It is important for those wishing to study at the University of Economics to be aware of and observe the following requirements.
Admission is competitive - students can apply simultaneously to all major subjects and tuition types (full-time and part-time). The quotas are published before the University starts to accept application forms.
University of Economics is giving its own entrance examinations and does not recognize entrance examination grades received at other schools of higher education.
The admission quotas are open to all Bulgarian citizens, who hold a secondary education diploma and are not currently serving an imprisonment sentence.
The part-time studies are open, without any age restrictions or any requirements concerning length of service, to all women and men, including young men who have completed their term of military service or have been exempt from military service. The latter must be discharged from the army by the beginning of the academic year.
Foreign citizens, who reside permanently on Bulgarian territory, foreigners of Bulgarian origin, whose place of residence is abroad, as well as foreigners who have been granted refugee status in this country, follow the same procedure as that followed by Bulgarian citizens.
Applicants must submit the following:
- An Application to the Rector (sample provided by the University).
- Both the original and a copy of the secondary education diploma.
Those who graduated foreign schools before the year they are applying here must submit a diploma legalized by the Ministry of Education and Science (MES), while those who have graduated the same year - a diploma, translated and certified in the Embassy of Republic of Bulgaria in the respective country. In both cases applicants must also submit a copy of the diploma, certified by MES, in which an official has entered the converted into a scale of six grades per subject and the average total grade.
- ID card.
- Military ID (for those who have completed their term of military service).
- A certificate showing that they will have been discharged from the army as of the beginning of the academic year.
- Military ID for those who have been exempt from military service.
- Entry ticket.
- Applicants who have won local or international competitions in Bulgarian language and literature or mathematics and are to finish their secondary education in the same year the competition is held, must submit a certificate issued by MES (the original and a copy), if they are to take an examination in any of those subjects.
- Documents certifying they have been absolved from the respective school of higher education (Art. 5, Par. 5, Sect. 2).
- Document certifying they have paid the entrance examination fee.
- Student's certificate issued by the University of Economics indicating the course for which they need to restore their student status by reapplying, indicating the major subject and tuition type.
- Disabled people belonging to the first and second category, disabled ex-service military people, complete orphans turning 25 years of age as of the year of application or younger, mothers of three plus children as well as twins applying to the same school are all to submit papers attesting to the above circumstances.
Application packages sent by post, as well as those which lack some or all of the required documents or have not been completed accurately and legibly are not accepted.
Each applicant has the right to take only one entrance examination of their choice (either mathematics or geography or Bulgarian language and literature or economics or history) for all major subjects, with the exception of the major subjects of Tourism, International Economic Relations and Computer Science. For the subjects of Tourism and International Economic Relations applicants are also to take an examination in a foreign language of their choice (English or German or French). Students who apply for the major subject of Computer Science must take an examination in mathematics. The examinations are designed in accordance with programs following the subject-matter of the secondary schools.
The compound grade used to rank applicants for major subjects entailing only one entrance examination is formed as the sum total of: the secondary education diploma grade in Bulgarian language and literature, the secondary education diploma grade in mathematics and the doubled grade of the entrance examination.
The compound grade used to rank applicants for major subjects entailing two entrance examinations is formed as the sum total of: the secondary education diploma grade in Bulgarian language and literature, the secondary education diploma grade in mathematics, the grade of the first entrance examination and the grade of the second entrance examination.
Only those applicants who have successfully passed the entrance examinations at the University of Economics enter the selection rankings. Classification is done in descending order of the compound grade ranking and in accordance with the applicants preferences reflected in the order he has put the desired major subjects in his Entry ticket, and also with respect to the published quotas, types of tuition, major subjects and categories.
University of Economics notifies in writing each one of the accepted students about the registration deadlines. At registration, besides the papers they have already submitted, students must also present:
1. A medical certificate as well as a psychological examination certificate issued at the applicant's hometown (full-time students only).
2. Six 4-by-6-sized photographs.
3. Registration papers (provided by the University).
4. Document certifying the due fee has been paid, issued by the Commercial bank servicing the University of Economics.
Students who fail to register within the deadlines lose their student status.
Students who have graduated the College of Tourism are awarded the educational degree of specialist and have the right to continue their studies and obtain the degree of bachelor, provided they meet the following requirements:
Those who graduated the College of Tourism before June 2000 can apply through competitive selection based on a set of documents they need to submit for part-time tuition in the major subjects of Tourism and Economy of Commerce. Training lasts ten semesters.
Those who graduated the College of Tourism as full-time students in June 2000 and the subsequent state examination sessions can apply through competitive selection based on a set of documents they need to submit for part-time tuition in the major subjects of Tourism and Economy of Commerce. Training lasts six semesters.
Students who took a Slavonic language as their first language can apply only for the subject of Economy of Commerce.
Only those students who took two West European languages (English, German or French) can apply for the major subject of Tourism. Those who took a second West European language different from the ones taught at the University of Economics (English, German or French), are to pass equalization examinations for their first and second academic year in their second language.
Those who have graduated colleges in the same scientific areas as those in which the University of Economics provides tuition, can apply for full-time and part-time tuition in order to acquire the educational and qualification degree of bachelor in the same major subject or a subject similar to the one they have aduated.
Selection is competitive, based on a set of documents applicants need to submit. The compound grade used for the ranking of applicants is formed as the sum total of: the average total grade of the study period and the average total grade of the state examinations. Classification is done in descending order according to the compound grade and the order in which the applicant has put the subjects he/she is applying for. Students who have been accepted are enrolled in a course, determined by the Dean of the Faculty, depending on the number of the equalization examinations that are to be taken.